Provident offers three training opportunities:
- Question Persuade Refer (QPR)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Crisis Hotline Training
Question Persuade Refer
QPR is an approach to confronting someone about their possible thoughts of suicide. It is not intended to be a form of counseling or treatment, instead a means to offer hope through positive action. There are three simple steps to follow:
Question the person about suicide. Ask if they've had any thoughts about it, feelings, or even plans? Do not be afraid to ask!
Persuade the person to get help. Remember to listen carefully and then say, "Let me help" or "Come with me to find help!"
Refer for help. If it is a child or adolescent, contact any adult, parents, minister, teacher, coach, or a counselor and refer them to the 24/7 hotline number - 1.800.273.TALK (8255)
Check back in the near future for dates/times of our QPR training.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is for everyone 16 or older—regardless of prior experience—who wants to be able to provide suicide first aid. Shown by major studies to significantly reduce suicidality, the ASIST model teaches effective intervention skills while helping to build suicide prevention networks in the community.
Virtually anyone aged 16 and older can learn the skills to intervene and save a life from suicide. Professionals as well as members of the community at large have all found great value in ASIST over the years. For more detailed information about this training, please click here
Participant materials include a 20-page workbook, wallet card, and stickers. Participants also receive a certificate upon completing the workshop.
ASIST is held over two consecutive days for a total of 15 hours.
Our next ASIST two-day workshops are scheduled for May 20-21, August 12-13, and October 28-29 (all 9am-5pm) at our main office, 2650 Olive, St. Louis, MO. 63103. The cost for 15 hours of training is $189. If you wish to obtain CEU credit, please go to the Living Works website
Please click here
to register for any of the upcoming trainings.
LIFE CRISIS Hotline Training
If you want to help those in need by becoming a Life Crisis volunteer, please fill out this application
and email it back to Amy Hrad, our Practicum and Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
, along with a cover letter
and a resume
. For more information or clarification, contact Amy at 314.446.2857 or email email@example.com
Provident's learning sessions are perfect for those who are interested in volunteering to help others or students looking for internships or practicum opportunities! The training is comprehensive and will be an exceptional foundation for any position in the mental health field; it is required for anyone who wants to become a crisis counselor.
Our next two-part training sessions are:
May 19-21 and 26-28
August 11-13 and 18-20
October 27-29 and November 3-5
All sessions are at our midtown location (2650 Olive, St. Louis, MO 63103) and run from 9 am to 5 pm.
- At least 18 years old
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to distinguish one’s own beliefs and values from those of the caller
- Accept supervision and develop appropriate working relationships
- Successfully complete 68-hour agency training program
- The Crisis Worker provides immediate telephonic response to help callers that are in a crisis and refers persons with a need to appropriate community resources.
- LCS crisis workers (as a group) answer over 80 calls a day from people who are struggling with suicide, grief, depression, work, children, parents, alcohol, drugs, sexual issues, gambling, anger, abuse, health, money, other life challenges.
- Minimum of one 3-hour shift per week
- 68-hour commitment
- Certified by the American Association of Suicidology
- Offered a variety of times and dates throughout the year
- Training will prepare you for the most difficult of hotline calls
The staff at LCS wants to ensure you are confident and prepared when working the crisis hotline. Because we value your dedication and success, a qualified Life Crisis staff member will provide support and supervision throughout your work on the hotline.
Provident’s Life Crisis Services
2650 Olive Street
St. Louis, MO 63103
Thank you so much for your interest! Life Crisis volunteers truly save lives on a daily basis.