Provident offers three training opportunities:
- Question Persuade Refer (QPR)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Crisis Hotline Training
Question Persuade Refer
QPR is an approach to confronting someone about their possible thoughts of suicide. It is not intended to be a form of counseling or treatment, but instead offers hope through positive action. There are three simple steps to follow:
Question the person about suicide. Ask if they've had any thoughts about it, feelings, or even plans? Do not be afraid to ask!
Persuade the person to get help. Remember to listen carefully and then say, "Let me help" or "Come with me to find help."
Refer for help. If it is a child or adolescent, contact any adult - parents, minister, teacher, coach, or a counselor - and refer them to the 24/7 hotline number: 1.800.273.TALK (8255)
Check back in the near future for dates/times of our QPR training.
LIFE CRISIS Hotline Training
Provident's LIFE CRISIS Hotline Training sessions are perfect for those who are interested in volunteering to help others or students looking for internships or practicum opportunities. The training is comprehensive and will be an exceptional foundation for any position in the mental health field; it is required for anyone who wants to become a crisis counselor.
If you want to help those in need by becoming a Life Crisis volunteer, please fill out this application and email it back to Lisa Gunkel, our Practicum and Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com, along with a cover letter and a resume. For more information or clarification, contact Lisa at 314.446.2867 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIFE CRISIS training sessions are typically held Friday-Sunday on two consecutive weeks for a total of six days of learning.
The sessions are from 9am-5pm at our main office, 2650 Olive, St. Louis, MO. 63103.
The ASIST program is embedded in each session.
August 11-13 and 18-20
January 5-7 and 12-14
January 19-21 and 26-38
We are offering a special session in fall 2017 that spreads fewer hours across more days to make it convenient for those interested in being trained to come after work. Participants must attend each date to complete their training.
Fall special session dates:
October 24 and 26, 5:30-9:30 pm
October 28 and 29, 9 am - 5 pm
October 31 and November 2, 5:30-9:30 pm
November 7 and 9, 5:30-9:30 pm
November 14 and 16, 5:30-9:30 pm
The cost for 15 hours of training is $189. If you wish to obtain CEU credit, please go to the Living Works website.
Please click here to register for any of the upcoming sessions.
All sessions are at our midtown location (2650 Olive, St. Louis, MO 63103).
- At least 18 years old
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to distinguish one’s own beliefs and values from those of the caller
- Accept supervision and develop appropriate working relationships
- Successfully complete 68-hour agency training program
- The Crisis Worker provides immediate telephonic response to help callers that are in a crisis and refers persons with a need to appropriate community resources.
- LCS crisis workers (as a group) answer over 80 calls a day from people who are struggling with suicide, grief, depression, work, children, parents, alcohol, drugs, sexual issues, gambling, anger, abuse, health, money, other life challenges.
- Minimum of one 3-hour shift per week
- 68-hour commitment
- Certified by the American Association of Suicidology
- Offered a variety of times and dates throughout the year
- Training will prepare you for the most difficult of hotline calls
The staff at LCS wants to ensure you are confident and prepared when working the crisis hotline. Because we value your dedication and success, a qualified Life Crisis staff member will provide support and supervision throughout your work on the hotline.
Provident’s Life Crisis Services
2650 Olive Street
St. Louis, MO 63103
Thank you so much for your interest! Life Crisis volunteers truly save lives on a daily basis.